Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Words Behind The Music



I used to listen to music without stopping to think about the meaning of the lyrics. If a song sounded pleasant or inspiring I just enjoyed it at face value and that was that. File it under the “ignorance is bliss” category I guess. Then I met my wife and my perspective changed completely. She’s one of those people who hears the lyrics of a song independent from the music, and can tell you exactly what it means after hearing it just once. My brain on the other hand doesn’t work that way. I have to concentrate like hell when I listen to a song, and in most cases need to listen to it several times before I’m able to decipher the lyrics. Even then I still can’t figure out what a song means most of the time (Are you human or are you dancer? What the f*ck am I supposed to do with that?). That’s why I really appreciate MTV’s “Storytellers” show where artists sing their songs while simultaneously breaking down what each line means. I’m often surprised and never would have grasped the artist’s intended meaning of their songs. I was recently listening to the Adele tune “Someone Like You” and was struck by an epiphany. In an instant I knew exactly what she was singing about, almost like the song was speaking to me. Below I’ve broken down the true meaning of “Someone Like You” section by section. I think you’ll be very surprised by what you’re about to read, especially considering how pleasant the song sounds on the surface.

Adele - "Someone Like You"

I heard that you're settled down
That you found a girl and you're married now.
I heard that your dreams came true.
Guess she gave you things I didn't give to you.

Translation: I facebooked stalked you. That was really dumb putting your home address in your profile.

Old friend, why are you so shy?
Ain't like you to hold back or hide from the light.

Translation: You look scared (you should be).

I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over

Translation: The rope and duct tape are in the trunk. If you don’t come willingly I’m going to smother you with this ether-soaked rag and drag you to my car.

Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
"I'll remember", you said,
Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead.
Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead,
Yeah.

Translation: By someone like you I mean you. After you’ve been locked in a cage in my basement for the next month I’m sure you’ll come around. What? There’s a fine line between love and hurt (it says so in the chorus).

You know how the time flies
Only yesterday it was the time of our lives
We were born and raised
In a summer haze
Bound by the surprise of our glory days

Translation: You were into me when I was young and skinny. Unfortunately the years haven’t been so kind. Don’t worry – it’s pretty dark in the basement.

I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over, yeah.

Translation: This is the part where you try to run away and I stun you with my taser gun.

Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
"I'll remember", you said,
Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead.

Translation: Don’t look so panicked – I’m sure your wife will find somebody else after you’ve been missing long enough.

Nothing compares
No worries or cares
Regrets and mistakes
They are memories made.
Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?

Translation: Bittersweet for you. For me this is actually quite enjoyable, me being a crazy stalker and all.

Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
"I remember", you said,
Sometimes it lasts in love
But sometimes it hurts instead.

Translation: Oh shit, is that police sirens?

Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
"I'll remember", you said,
Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead.
Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead.

Translation: Not so tight on those handcuffs. I can’t believe your bitch wife called the cops. “I’ll remember” this asshole. I’m coming after both of you once I break out of the loony bin.

Wow – that’s some pretty disturbing shit, Adele. Who knew?

No comments: