Friday, October 12, 2012

What Do I Stand For?



You know that song “Some Nights” by Fun.?  I fricking love it.  Every time it comes on the radio I turn up the volume and belt it out at the top of my lungs (yup – I’m that guy).  I wondered what it was about (and I’m not good at deciphering lyrics) so I looked it up on YouTube and watched the video. I still don’t know what it’s about but it has something to do with war and love, I think.  Anyways the chorus really resonates with me for some reason:

But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure what I stand for oh
What do I stand for? What do I stand for?
Most nights, I don't know anymore...
Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa oh oh
Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa oh oh

It makes me think of all the things I stand for so I decided to put words to it.  Not that you asked (or care) but what follows is a list of the things I stand for and believe in (in no particular order of importance):

I stand for letting other people do whatever the f*ck they want (gay marriage, scientology, being a libertarian, wearing crocs, watching Honey Boo Boo, etc.) so long as they afford me the same tolerance and freedom.

I believe in personal accountability and owning your failures along with your successes (admit it, Barack, you have no idea what you’re doing).

I stand for life, liberty, and the pursuit of going viral on the internet (the nuttier the better).

I believe that wearing sweatpants during the day means you’ve simply given up.

I stand for modern interpretation and pragmatic flexibility when applying Constitutional law as opposed to relying on blind precedent.

I believe in 2 major food groups: protein and booze (What?  Don’t judge me).

I stand for small government and letting the citizens decide how to spend their money (don’t tread on me).

I believe in the Theory of Evolution and think that anyone who doesn’t is a complete idiot (damn you scientific proof).

I stand for following your dreams but not at the expense of your loved ones (sometimes a backup plan ain’t so bad after all).

I believe a person’s worth shouldn’t be defined by their possessions or the balance in their bank accounts.  If the Apocalypse struck tomorrow none of that shit would matter (unless of course said possessions include a bomb shelter stocked with canned foods, guns, and ammo – for shooting the zombies of course).

I stand for always putting your children’s needs before yours.  When you brought them into this world you gave up all rights to be selfish.

I believe there’s a fine line between opportunism and a lack of integrity (and I believe in toeing that line on a regular basis for personal gain).

I stand for walking softly and carrying a big stick (but mainly for walking softly).

I believe you can cheap out on certain things but that toilet paper isn’t one of them.

I stand for democracy, political transparency, and making Nancy Pelosi go away.

I believe that being gay is predetermined by your DNA, and that anyone who believes it’s a choice is completely out of touch w/ reality.

I stand for standing up for yourself and what you believe in, but not in being an asshole to do so.

I believe that short people are morally and intellectually superior to tall people (I have no practical basis for this belief whatsoever, but I choose to believe it anyway).

I stand for competing fairly and respecting your opponent, but mainly for winning (anyone who tells you that life is not a zero sum game is on the wrong side of the equation).

I believe if I have to hear the song “Gangnam Style” one more time I might actually kill somebody.

Happy Friday,

The Quinsey Blog

No comments: