Friday, December 7, 2012

Marching Toward 40: My Metamorphosis from Ordinary to Extraordinary

 

I turned 39 this week and so begins my slow march to the big 4 - 0.  I remember when by Dad turned 40.  We had a big party at the house and everybody brought funny “over-the-hill” gifts.  40 is after all the age when things start to fall apart and you begin your slow descent down the other side of the mountain, right?  In my case I’m not so sure.  The thing is I don’t feel old.  And I don’t think I look particularly old either.  I’ve actually never felt better in my entire life, and I’ve also never been in better shape.  I’m not rubbing it in, I’m just being honest.  I start to think about the various things that age people and then it all makes perfect sense. 

1)      Old sports injuries: Never got one of those because I was sitting on the bench preparing for middle-aged greatness.

2)      Degenerative frontal lobe (due to recreational drug use in your 20’s): I got married, started my career, and started having kids all prior to my 25th birthday.  No time for killing my brain (booze doesn’t count – it just makes you more interesting – ask anyone).

3)      STD’s: Not here.  Side benefit of nobody wanting to have sex with you in college because you looked like you were 12.

4)      Letting yourself go / physical apathy: I work out religiously 6 days a week like my life depends on it.  And in honor of turning 40, I’m running my first marathon next year (San Diego in June).

5)      Hitching your trailer to a dead horse / squandering your best years on the wrong person: Not me.  I hit the wife jackpot (although I’m not sure she’d say the same thing about me).

6)      Financial hardship: Sure glad I planted that money tree in the backyard.

As a result of avoiding each of these pitfalls I now feel like I’ve gotten more athletic, smarter, more desirable, fitter, wiser, and more interesting with age.  In reality I’ve probably stayed exactly the same while everyone else has gotten worse.  I guess this means I’ve won the war of attrition.  Yay me… I think.  See you at the peak in about 20 years (if my calculations are correct).

No comments: