Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Bruce Almighty



I fully intended to stay away from this topic altogether.  My social media feeds have been inundated with it all week.  On polarizing issues such as this I generally find it better to just keep quiet.  But then I read a post entitled “Bruce Jenner Is Not A Hero” from: emilysuzanne11.wordpress.com and I felt compelled to weigh in.  Her blog is called “Illuminating Truth” and basically analyzes everything from a biblical standpoint.  She has since written a follow up post (after 2.5 million views and 4000+ comments), but didn’t apologize for anything said in her original post.  Her point was that God doesn’t make mistakes.  He made Bruce Jenner a man and that is how he should live out his life.  She concluded the post by stating that Bruce Jenner is simply in need of Jesus.
On one point I agree with Emily Suzanne (but hear me out before you start casting stones).  In my mind Bruce Jenner is not a hero.  He didn’t save anyone.  He didn’t make any major sacrifices for others.  He didn’t put anyone else’s well-being ahead of his own.  He’s just a woman stuck in a man’s body and finally decided to do something about it.  Brave?  Yes.  Hero?  No.
On every other point I think Emily Suzanne is a deranged lunatic.  What do you mean God doesn’t make mistakes?  What about serial killers?  What about pedophiles?  What about rapists?  You want to tell me again that God doesn’t make mistakes?  In her follow up post, Emily Suzanne said most of the comments on her original post were from people accusing her of being a hateful, judgmental idiot.  Well, if the shoe fits.  Just because you rationalize your ignorance with blind religious beliefs, it doesn’t mean you’re not ignorant.  It’s a great, big colorful world out there Emily Suzanne, too bad you’re stuck in black & white.

On the other hand I’m getting really tired of everyone calling Bruce Jenner a hero and singing his praises on social media.  It’s almost as though they’re using this story as a platform to demonstrate how enlightened and progressive they are.  Easy people, it’s just an air-brushed dude with a lot of make-up on the cover of an opportunistic fashion magazine.  He didn’t cure cancer.  The same people making all of those posts are probably really pissed off at me for continuing to refer to Jenner as “he” (I’m doing it on purpose).
Can we all just call it what it is - a guy finally being honest about who he is, and capitalizing on that honesty to make boatloads of cash.  What?  You don’t think he got paid for that photo shoot?  He is part of the Kardashian / Jenner “brand” after all.  It’s also pretty f*cking bizarre.  A 65-year old man tucking away his penis and trying to look sexy on the cover of a magazine?  I can't be the only one who finds this head-scratchingly strange.  There, I said it.  Let the hate mail roll in.  I guess I’m not nearly as enlightened or progressive as the rest of you.

In summary I am thrilled to finally live in a world tolerant enough to embrace transgender men and women and support their plight.  God clearly does make mistakes and I applaud anyone willing to rectify them.  Let’s just not over-sensationalize a story like this when there are so many other problems in the world that are far more deserving of our attention.

No comments: